Monday, March 6, 2017

{ insert eyeroll here }

So, I made this recipe for dinner tonight.

Why? Well, my kids love mac & cheese (like all kids). And I had beef thawed, I was going to make...something...I think dirty rice? I don't actually remember. And that was part of the problem. I had a pound of grass-fed ground beef in the freezer, which I moved to the fridge last night to thaw, and then today I just could.not.remember the plan for it. And I didn't feel like making anything that required me to do more than throw ingredients in a pan. Bonus points for not having to measure.
I didn't even take a picture of it. Let's be honest, something called "Mac & Cheese Skillet Lasagna" is not going to look pretty. Even the picture on the website looks like a pile of mac & cheese with some mozzarella sprinkled on top. (Which is appropriate, since that's essentially what this is.)
It was delicious. Total comfort food. Grant wolfed down three (toddler-sized) portions. I had an entire bowl. I even had to shoo the cat away from the table (ok, that's a normal occurence, but still).

And then, it hit me. The guilt. The modern-day parenting guilt. I had fed my children hamburger meat and boxed dinner. Ok, sure, I could remind myself that it was grass-fed beef, and I used organic milk and butter, and even Kraft has been making their marketing push about how their new recipe is all-natural. There was nothing inherently wrong with the food I'd prepared, and it tasted good, and my kids ate it. That should be a victory, right?

And yet.

One of these days, I'll get over the guilt of not being the pinterest-perfect, always-from-scratch cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment